Fortepiano after C. Graf by Paul McNulty
This fortepiano is after an original by C. Graf, op. 318, 1819 from Castle Kozel near Pilsen, Czech Republic. In this period, Graf's pianos still retained the thin soundboard and light hammers of the Viennese classical era, with somewhat thicker strings. The fuller tone is nonetheless clear and projecting, which, coupled with the various expression tops, provides a convincing Schubertian palette.
This fortepiano has a six and a half octave range from CC to f4. It has a moderator, double moderator, sustaining and una corda pedals. This instrument is highly attractive and is made from walnut. Other options include mutation stops (bassoon, Turkish music) and a mahogany case with carved and gilt leg capitals and lyre. It is expertly crafted by world-renowned maker Paul McNulty. His instruments are famous for their performance quality and are housed in the most prestigious concert halls, opera houses and educational institutions.
Dimensions: 240cm x 122cm x35cm (approx.)
Weight: 151kg (approx.)
Padded Transportation Cover with Leg Bag
Flight Case - complete with heavy duty wheels
About C. Graf
Conrad Graf (1782-1851), who held the title of Imperial Royal Court Fortepiano Maker (k k. Hofpiano und Claviermacher) from 1824, was born in Riedlingen (Wurttemberg) and came to Vienna in 1799 as a joiner. He became a piano builder and opened his own workshop in 1807. By 1820 his instruments were considered "the greatest and most renowned in Vienna and throughout the empire". Graf not only supplied instruments to all the apartments of the imperial court but also provided a pianoforte for Ludwig van Beethoven in 1825. Chopin, Robert and Clara Schumann, Liszt and Mendelssohn all held Graf pianos in the highest esteem.